This post may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for more information.
So you want to create a Successful Blog! If you are reading this post than congratulations. You are either in the process of creating a blog or just started. I have decided to create a series of blogging posts along with my personal financial advise posts. I want you to get everything you can out of my blog and I want to share all of my knowledge – as I grow in this blogging business as well. Today I will give you a complete guide which will answer most of your blogging questions. Some of those questions may include
Where do I start?
Do I need to pay for web hosting?
How do I pick a theme?
How do I use Google analytics?
What is SEO and Keywords?
Hopefully this guide will help you answer your questions and lead you to create a successful blog today! I have left my “how to start a wordpress blog with bluehost web hosting” tutorial up and running. If you have not yet created a blog I do highly recommend reading this post and then checking out my tutorial afterwords as it will show you exactly how to create a blog and set up wordpress. By reading this first it will allow you to get those brain juices flowing so you will have an idea of a great blog domain name, niche, and so on.
If you are wondering how to start a wordpress blog on bluehost, check out my post which gives step by step tutorial.
Other related links:
When I started blogging which was not too long ago, I had no idea where to even begin. It has been a very educational opportunity for me because each and every day I am learning. This is either from purchasing e-books such as Boosting Your Blog Traffic by Ana from The She Approach, reading blog post upon blog post from other successful bloggers like Making Sense of Cents, or trial and error on my own accord. I absolutely love having my own blog. It has allowed me to view my own financial situation in a different way and I get to help others create successful blogs so that they can live the life they have always wanted. Furthermore, I want to help you create your own successful blog.
The benefits of creating your own successful blog:
- Own a business.
- Be your own boss!
- Monetize your blog to create an income.
- Become a better writer.
- Join the community of bloggers – the most supportive people you will ever meet.
- Network daily from the comfort of your own home.
- Establish yourself as an expert in your chosen niche.
- Express yourself daily.
- You can help people for the greater good.
And these are just to name a few! There are so, so many reasons as to why you should start your own successful blog and you should start today. I always feel I should have started so much earlier.
Here we go!
Topics to be discussed…
- Why you should choose to pay for a domain and web hosting.
- Choose a successful niche.
- Create an insightful and click worthy domain name.
- Choose a theme for your WordPress site.
- Add the standard site pages to your blog.
- Add the necessary plugins such as Google analytics.
- Create social media accounts to direct traffic to your site.
- Introduction to SEO.
1. Why you should choose to pay for a domain and web hosting.
If you have not already purchased a domain and web hosting, I highly recommend checking out my tutorial at this end of this guide. For myself and the majority of other bloggers, it is recommended to purchase your own domain and web hosting through Bluehost. Bluehost is very reliable and allows you to own your own site. There is a small start up fee but through my link you can pay as low as $3.95/mth and receive a free domain valued at $15.00! I know a free blog through Blogger or WordPress.com seems like a great deal. Everyone loves free things! But if you intend in being serious about blogging and create an income, the Blogger and WordPress.com options are not the way to go. There are many limitations to the free blogs. You will not be able to use pertinent plug-ins or use ads which will allow you to create money. Also, your blog will not “belong to you” meaning that your site can be shut down at anytime for no reason. By owning your own domain you will not have to worry about these things. You will be able to monetize your blog and create an income.
Click the link below to avail of my deal!
2. Choose a successful niche.
This may be one of the most difficult decisions when creating your blog. You have to keep a lot of things in mind. It took me weeks to decide a niche and then days to think of a catchy domain name. Some bloggers suggest choosing a niche which you are passionate about while others say to choose a niche which is popular and that people will want to read. In my humble opinion, I believe you should choose a topic which you are familiar with but which readers can related to. A great way to start is through Pinterest. If you go to Pinterest and type in the search bar a topic you feel comfortable writing about then you will be able to observe how well it is searched.
Sally went on Pinterest and typed in the word “Fitness”. This is a topic which she is very familiar with and can speak comfortably on. She believes that she has ample information which she can help others towards their personal fitness goals. When Sally typed the word Fitness she could see that it was a highly searched topic. One specific pin was repinned 12k. This is a great niche for Sally! The only problem is that she felt as though maybe it was too much competition for her “soon to be little blog” to compete with.
In the case above you can see that Sally found a niche she was passionate about. It was also highly searched by readers. Sally’s only concern was that the topic was competitive. Do not be afraid of highly searched topics! This is what you want. You will need to connect with readers and provide value to them. Fitness is a great topic for Sally.
3. Create an insightful and click worthy domain name.
This was another tough decision for myself. I spent days upon days trying to decide on a domain name. I was looking for something that people would be interested in and would want to click to find out more. To begin, I started writing everything and anything I could think of – no idea was left out. In the end I chose “themoneydoll.com”. Why did I choose this name? Well, there are a couple of things which you should keep in mind.
- Is my domain name memorable? It is very important that the name is easy to remember. If you are using large words that some people may not understand, words which are made up, not easy to spell, or abbreviations than you are probably not memorable. For example, “tmd.com” is probably not a great choice. Readers will not remember the site address and I would loose these views on my blog. Themoneydoll.com is memorable. If I provide great content for my readers then they will remember and visit often – thus create a successful blog.
- Is my domain name too long? There is nothing more appalling than having to write a super long, non-memorable domain name in the address bar. For example “makemoneyusingmytips.com”. This is an extreme example but you get my drift! You need to use a shorter name for your domain in order to create a successful blog. I suggest four words or less but if you absolutely need to then you can definitely use more. These are only guidelines.
- Does my domain name relate to the content on my blog? I strongly advise using a domain name that will get readers to be interested in clicking on but also gives a little hint as to what the site is about. As you can see in my domain name it has the word “money”. Money is a highly searched word on google and other search engines. It plants a seed in readers minds while reaching my targeted audience.
Check out Name Mesh for a generator to help create your domain!
- Try to find a domain in which you can use .com instead of .net or .ca.
- Search your chosen domain on social media to ensure you can use this same name when you expand your own community to drive traffic.
4. Choose your Word Press theme
Please note that you should use my tutorial How to Create a WordPress Blog on Bluehost before reaching this step.
Although content is key for creating a successful blog, I personally feel that making your blog visually appealing is also extremely important. You want to present yourself in a professional way. The formula for me is Great Content + Great Appearance = High Traffic and Successful Blog. There are themes upon themes to choose on Word Press. Some are free, some are not. It does not matter which you choose but you have to keep a couple things in mind.
- Make sure it is mobile responsive.
- If you choose a free theme you need to know how to customize and update them yourself. For a beginner, purchasing a theme upfront can save lots of headaches. They are relatively cheap and usually a one time payment. Genesis by Studio Press is a highly recommended theme company. You can purchase a theme from them here.StudioPress Themes for WordPress
- Make a list of features that you want to include. This can be plugins (which we will talk about later), appearance, etc.
- White backgrounds are known to be the most highly responsive themes. It is easy to read words off a white background, appears professional, and clean.
- Choose font which is easy to read. Keep the word “Tasteful” in mind.
- If you do not purchase a theme, ensure it is able to be customized.
- Try to choose a theme which is user friendly.
5. Add the standard site pages to your blog.
In order to create a successful blog which is also reputable, you must have several pages which are necessary. Many new bloggers do not realize that these pages must and should be created. These pages are:
- Homepage – This should be a welcome page. Briefly state why you started, who you are, and your main goals for your blog. Write in your own voice and welcome readers in which a mission statement.
- About Page – You can get more in depth with this page. Explain your situation, why you blog, share your story. This is where people will learn to like who you are and how you will help them. You can also add a picture so the readers can visualize who will be teaching and guiding them.
- Blog – with categories. Create a blog page which has categories. It is easier for readers to find content if posts are in one specific place. Your blog page will show recent posts and the categories. Categories are like file folders. This is where you place relevant posts in the corresponding categories.
- Contact Page – This is where your readers can contact you with questions or concerns. This is how they feel they can connect with you as the writer. You can use your name, Facebook page, Instagram, or email – just to name a few.
6. Add the necessary plugins to your site.
There are hundreds of plugins on WordPress and they can be very overwhelming when first starting out. Remember that plugins are your friends not your enemies. You can search whatever you like and a plugin will arise. To access plugins look to the left side of your WordPress dashboard. Under “Appearance” you will see “Plugins”. When you hover over “Plugins” it will say “Add New”. Click there. This will bring you to the search bar where you can search the plugin you are looking for. When you install a plugin you then have to click activate in order to get the plugin working. These plug ins can then be found by hovering over “Plugins” again and clicking “Installed Plugins” or some will be listed on the bottom of the left grey toolbar. Necessary plugins I suggest are:
- Yoast SEO
- Optin Monster
- Google Analytics for WordPress
- Pretty Link
- Pinterest PinIt Button
- Ultimate Social Media Icons
- Constant Contact Forms by MailMunch
- Meta Tag Manager
- Backup Buddy
- Insert Header and Footers
There are an abundance of plugins and you will need more to help different issues as time goes on. I highly recommend these for first time bloggers.
7. Create social media accounts to direct traffic to your blog.
Creating a community for your brand is so important! You want to direct traffic to your blog by using all sorts of different techniques. Create a Facebook Page, Instagram, or Pinterest is a good way to start. Use these platforms to direct traffic back to your site. You also are creating a community for your readers to connect among each other and communicate with you. Readers love to feel connected with you and this is one way to do so. For example, post daily on your Facebook page by posting up new or old posts that you have already created, ask questions to your readers, post surveys to help you write new posts… whatever you please! You can also join groups such as Facebook groups for bloggers which allow you to post social media links to your blog. Ask questions yourself on the groups to figure out answers to your questions. Remember that bloggers are your friends. We love to help each other out and we want to see you succeed! If you are interested in using Pinterest, a great app is Tailwind. This app is a scheduler which will pin your posts for you!
7. Introduction to SEO
SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization and let me tell you that it took me a while to understand this concept. It is impossible for me to explain every detail in this post but I will try to explain what I can. Basically, if you make each post optimal for search engine i.e google then it will be easier to have more organic viewers. First off, download Yoast SEO plugin straight away. You seriously need this in your life. At the bottom of each post SEO will tell you what you need to do to get a green light “good”. It will state if you need more words, show you a place to put a Keyword and so on. There will also be a place which will state “Readability”. This will inform you if you have a run on sentience, whether you need improvement and other important tips. I hope to create a post soon strictly on SEO alone.
And there you have it ladies and gentlemen! A complete guide on how to create a successful blog. There is definitely a lot more to learn – as I previously said every day is a educational experience. This is just my personal opinion on how to create a successful blog. I hope that some of this information has helped you on your blogging journey. Please do not hesitate to connect with me on Facebook @themoneydoll or shoot me an email I would be more than happy to help. Happy Blogging!
You’re worth it.